Sunday, April 4, 2010

Landon's Scallop Soup


Happy Easter everybody. Hope you all had a good one. My family gathered at my house today for a Chinese-food themed lunch.



I'll post more pictures of the food later, but for today's blog I'm gonna focus on my son's scallop soup. He doesn't really measure anything, so all the proportions in the following recipe are approximations.


Soak about 1 1/2 cups of dried scallops in water for about 3 days.
Sautee the scallops in oil with 2 star anise (save liquid for later) until slightly browned.
Add 1 can of chopped water chestnuts and 1 can of chopped bamboo shoots.
Add 1/4 c. oyster sauce and 1 tsp. garlic chili paste.
Add the reserved scallop water, 2 cans of chicken broth and 4 cups of water.
Edit: Sorry, Landon forgot to mention that right here, you need to add in a cornstarch slurry to thicken.
Beat together about 6 eggs. Drizzle slowly into soup.

6 comments:

K and S said...

yummy! the photo of the colored eggs, so pretty! happy easter!

Betty Townsend said...

This looks really good although it is not something I could eat. Seafood and chili paste no, no's for me. Bummer! Look forward to seeing what else your family had for Easter dinner. Those eggs are so colorful!

Les said...

uuuuuuuuuuu that looks yummy!! Three days of soaking?? I'd probably forget about them and find them in the fridge a month later! :) Shoot, if you posted this earlier I would've picked up more scallops from Japan!

jalna said...

Hi Kat. I loved the colors too!

Betty, I was lazy and almost wasn't gonna take pictures. Didi said, "But aren't people gonna be looking forward to seeing um?" So I busted out my camera and took a few quick shots . . . sorry, nothing special.

Hey Les, Landon brought back bags of small scallops from Vegas. Not sure how cheap they were.

OkiHwn said...

I too am hesitant about the chili garlic paste.

Can get good scallops in Chinatown, but as you know - kinda pricey! Worth it though.

jalna said...

Nate, Landon did say that the chili garlic paste was optional, but since he did use it, I included it in the recipe.