Tuesday, October 6, 2009

GoShiGo

It was on the somewhat wet Harvest Moon night that Wendell and I decided to go try out GoShiGo on Keeaumoku. It eventually filled up, but it was fairly empty when we got there. I was surprised to see Ponyo playing on the screen. Our waitress explained that it's already out on DVD in Japan.
I had the Tempura Udon, and I really wanted to like it especially after reading in Metromix that surfer-looking owner Hidetaka Ushiki worked day and night perfecting his udon to fit our dense climate. The tempura was perfect and the broth really good. Unfortunately the noodles were just a bit too chewy for me.Wendell tried the Natto Udon. He said that the tororo (Japanese yam), the natto and the almost-raw egg made the sliminess too overwhelming. He thought that the noodles were too chewy for his liking too.
The place did get packed by the time we left, so I'm sure there are people who do like the food there. You should go try it out for yourself.

6 comments:

K and S said...

mmm tempura udon :)

jalna said...

I agree . . . mmmmm.

Les said...

looks yummy, minus the shrimp...I like my noodles chewy!

Erick said...

I agree, too chewy and too expensive. Sushi Plus, one building away has better tempura udon and its cheaper. Nice shots.

Unknown said...

The interior shot looks familiar... is this place where Taishoken used to be?

jalna said...

Rick, good eye . . . it is!